Friday, July 31, 2009

Email Update | 07/31/09


Dear Friends,

We hope that you are having a wonderful summer. I know it can be busy, so hopefully you have had or will have a chance to slow down a bit and unwind.

Lindsay and I have been having a wild yet fun summer. We spent 6 weeks on the road, back in MN, partly in Iowa with Lindsay's family, partly in Colorado Springs for coaching other staff, and partly in Canada for fishing! Ever since July 2nd, we have been very glad to be back in Ithaca, NY and enjoying the beautiful weather.

Most of my (Matt's) time, this summer, has been focused on expanding financial partnership in our ministry, and preparing for the fall semester. This preparation for the fall looks like many different things, such as: Preparing the weekly Bible studies in Colossians, working through the Bible study curriculum that The Navigators have developed for my training, random administrative tasks, and keeping in touch with the students.















One of those students is Nick (not his real name). I chatted with him on Facebook briefly the other day and caught up a bit. At the end of last spring semester, Nick and I got together at a local coffee joint to catch up on the year and get to know each other better. During our time, Nick asked me if I would be his 'spiritual godfather' of sorts, and pray for him at his baptism at a local Chinese church. I was a little surprised at his unexpected request. After I realized the service was in English, I relaxed a bit.

It has been great getting to know Nick. He regularly attended our freshmen Bible study all last year, and came to several of our Nav events and retreats (sometimes while taking 23 credits!). He has expressed an eager desire to grow in Christ and know His transforming power. As I chatted with him yesterday, he mentioned that he is memorizing scripture using The Navigators Topical Memory System (TMS). I recommended it to him at the end of last spring, and am very excited to see him diligently hiding God's Word in his heart (Psalm 119:11). I am stoked to continue to disciple Nick this next year!

Thank you so much for your prayers & partnership on behalf of Nick! We are truly seeing lives transformed in Christ here at Cornell, and you have been such an encouraging and crucial part of that transformation. Please pray with us, that Nick would continue to dig deep and lay the foundation on the rock--that is Christ (Luke 6:46-49)

Also, in regards to our financial needs, we are encouraged as the Lord continues to provide in His time. Right now, we are thankful to be at 81% of our total budget goal. We are still trusting Him for the remaining $1,225 in monthly support. Please continue to pray with us for new financial partnerships with churches and individuals, and continued and increased giving. (If the Lord leads, giving information is at the bottom of the email.)

Paul says it best for us:
"I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel, from this first day until now, ..." Philippians 1:3-5 NIV

Partnering With You,
M&L

No comments: